Friday, October 14, 2011

My Role Model.. MP

Growing up I didn't really associate my race with being Filipino. In fact I really had no racial identity in my younger years which I identified myself with. It wasn't until 2005 that I took pride in my culture, that was the year boxer Manny Pacquiao came out to demolish Erik Morales after a unanimous decision loss to him a few months before their rematch, after that he grew to become one of the most popular and influential Filipino figures out there.

As a teenager growing up watching Pacquiao encouraged me to join the sport of boxing at the age of 14, it was only for two years but proved to be helpful in my high school shenanigan days. I can say as a freshman I weighed only 98 pounds and who would think a skinny little asian could fight? I mean wouldn't want to pick on him? Well, I remember a guy came up to me probably weighing 140 during P.E and told me to pull my shorts up to my chest like he did to the rest the kids. Me being the quite individual I was back then got targeted as his next victim, but in my head I was the invincible kid on the block. The outcome, I beat his ass.


Manny Pacquiao helped influence me by up taking the sport of boxing and becoming proud of my race. To me I felt that Filipinos in America got noticed when he came out, it was a rare thing for a Filipino to be on the news or television. Every time he fought my family and friends would gather together to watch him. It is rumored in the Philippines that when he does fight no crime is committed and the battle between the rebels are halted. Manny Pacquiao is a big role model to me and hero. I finally identified myself with Filipino's after I found something to be proud of.

   Old clip of me. I cant even say boxing but beating some guy up in an abandoned house I think I was only 116lb. Haha its always fun to watch someone get dropped anyways! might as well make the blog entertaining. I don't do this kind of stuff anymore but this is an example of high school shenanigans.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered how long it would before MP made his appearance . . .

    ReplyDelete